The Town of Ellington is a 22,000 acre tract on the eastern border of Chautauqua formed after separating from the Town of Gerry in 1824. It is originally named for Ellington, Connecticut.
The historic architecture that survives today records the evolution of the community and contributes to the distinctive character of the Town. A variety of architectural styles and building types are represented in Ellington. These historic houses, churches, and commercial buildings are arranged around the Town Square and reflect the difference in taste of past generations.